Fuel Anywhere: You can essentially fuel anywhere that has an electrical outlet! All Plug-in Electric Vehicles (PEVs) come with a charger cord that can plug into a standard wall socket.
Fuel Anytime: As a PEV owner, you have the ability to choose when and where to plug in! Most PEV drivers opt to recharge their vehicles overnight at their home. PEVs can even be programmed to automatically charge at the best times to take advantage of the lowest, off peak electricity rates. Hundreds of public charging stations across California are currently available as well as workplace charging infrastructure for those that want to plug in on the run or while they are at work.
Click here for more information on charging!
- Level 1 charging is the simplest, and does not require any additional charging equipment: To begin charging, simply plug your vehicle into a standard 120 Volt outlet – the most common outlet found in U.S. homes. Level 1 charging adds about 4 to 5 miles of electric-drive range per hour of charging.
- Level 2 charging may be a better option for most owners: You will need to purchase and install specific charging equipment that allows you to plug your PEV into a 240 Volt outlet. Depending on the battery type, circuit capacity, and vehicle, Level 2 charging can add about 11 to 25 miles of electric-drive range per hour of charging time.
Public Charging – Visit PlugShare to find a charging station near you!
- Level 1 and Level 2 publicly available charging stations are usually located in garages and lots where your PEV is expected to be parked for several hours, such as shopping centers, public garages, hotels and workplaces. The cost of publicly available charging varies – most public charging stations are free-of-charge, others are “pay-to-pump” similar to gas stations, while some require a membership to a network.
- In the Monterey Bay region there are more than 80 public charging stations (some of which has both Level 1 and Level 2 outlets).
- DC Fast Chargers – Direct-current (DC) fast charging equipment (480 V AC input) are beginning to be installed in heavy traffic corridors such as freeways and also at shopping centers. Not all vehicles are DC Fast Charge compatible. These provide an 80% charge in 30 minutes.
- Tesla Supercharger works only for Tesla vehicles and provides a 50% charge in 20 minutes.
More Charging Options – Visit EVmatch
EVmatch is a nationwide network for sharing and renting private electric vehicle charging stations. If you need dependable charging near your rental, apartment, condo, or going on a road trip, EVmatch has you covered with their community-based charging network. Sign up for free at EVmatch.
Host Your Own Charging Station or Outlet
You can make money and support more electric vehicles on the road by listing your home charging station or outlet for rent on EVmatch. Customize your charger’s availability and price so it works with your schedule. No sign-up fees and all charger types are accepted.